Thursday, February 25, 2016

Painting the Great Brass Scorpion part 3



Hello All,

Welcome to part 3. Remember when painting my Great Brass Scorpion (GBS) I generally followed the instructions presented in Imperial Armor Masterclass Volume 2 with a few exceptions.


The last installment seems like soooo long ago. 3 weeks. February has been a rough month for me since the last update I have had to deal with Staff reductions at work forcing me to work late hours. I had to buy a car because my 11 year old Honda finally gave up the ghost. I attended the first session of the NOVA Open 2016 terrain builds (this was a fun activity but a lot of hard work so it is in the tally) and to top it off I am coming down with a cold or Flu or something. 

As I stated last time I will be going over the brass banding and finishing off the plates.


For a refresher- Part 1 and Part 2 

Finishing the plates

The banding that surrounds each plate was base coated with Vallejo Game color Tinny Tin then GW brass scorpion. The edges were hit with Vallejo Game Color Bright Bronze. 



Once done and allowed to dry I went in with a wash made from Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Color Burnt Umber and Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Color Black (these are the level 3 “professional” artist quality oil paints I bought at Michaels) and artist grade paint thinner Mixed 1:1:3. This was painted over the entire plate and allowed to set for around 45 minutes or so. 






After this I took a cloth rag (actually an old shirt) and gave each plate a good rub down removing most of the oil paint except in the crevices where it dark lined the plates beautifully. 



It also mellowed the brass and the red a little giving them complimentary tones.  


Well that's it for now. Next up I will be attacking the main body  and all the lovely cables and corpses.

Till then

Later

RGH

1 comment: