Last time I showed you ships we are working on that are puzzle kits and made from the leftovers of the puzzle kits. I also mention bigger ships so here they are! First up the war galleons for the Good Guys. Your basic Age of sail wide mobile battle platform made famous by the Spanish centuries ago.
These are what we will be working on this Saturday at the NOVA Open Build session!
1. Basic body design- The body was made from 1” pink construction foam cut into a basic ship shape 15” long and 5” wide. 2 of these are used for each ship. The first becoming the body and the second cut up to become the fore and aft castles. The fore castle is 2” tall while the aft is 3” tall.
2. Glue the fore and aft castle in place and allow to dry.
3. Once dry break out the wire cutter and shave the sides to make them uniform.
|Doesn't really change much at this point|
6. One set of 2 long and one short get glued to the foam
8. Leftover card is cut into strips to make planking for the inner walls.
9. Make “corner covers” to fix/hide where planks meet. Pictures
10. Add Mast- Still in Development
Here is what the mast-less design looks like.
Up Next Ironclads!
We had some extra parts left over last time so I asked Bobby to take a stab at an Ironclad design and this is what he came up with!
The Iron Clads
1. Basic body design- The body was made from 1” pink construction foam cut into a basic Viking ship shape 15” long and 5” wide. 1 and 2 inch foam are used to make “boat house” and fore and aft “Turrets”
2. Once the pieces have been glued in place and allowed to dry use sand paper to round the hard edges and give it a submarine like appearance.
3. Using a ball point pen and a ruler make plate lines and rivets to give the appearance the ship was put together in sections.
4. Use a small disk (I used a 25mm round base) to make port holes and a hatch for the boat house.
5. The design is pretty much done here just paint and play
|Just needs some details|
Well That is it for now. I hope to see you at Neal's on Saturday!