Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hobby Update May (pic heavy)

Hello All,

I know it's been a while. The NOVA Open season is in full swing so getting posts out has been a challenge. Anyway I have been getting a lot done (Mostly for NOVA Open) but did manage to find some time to get my own stuff worked on.

If you have not been following what we are working for this years NOVA Open you should go look- I'll wait...

Road To NOVA

Back?... Good.

I will start with the figures. A very small number. :(
I like the way they turned out. :)

Steam Tank

I have had this model for years. It is a Steam Tank from some old game GW crushed back in the 90's.
While simple it gave me a chance to test some weathering techniques like chipped paint and corrosion.







D&D

I Painted up these Reaper figures for a D&D game. They are supposed to be relatives from the same Noble house (that is why the colors match)






Balthazar Gelt

I picked this guy up when I bought the Nagash End Times Book since he is a major player (dupe) through part of it. I like the how the Pegasus muzzle turned out.





 Tau Riptide

This was assembled for me by the Assembly Linguist  back before he started it.
I figured it was time to start painting.




Game Boards (terrain sets)

I have been working on several terrain sets for games I play or want to play. the big one has been the modular Goblin Town board that I was able to finish and play on just before the end of May

Walkways

I used three Goblin town sets from GW and used their scale (and coffee sticks) to make more walkways of my own. 



Extras

Using wood skewers and game pieces from a board game I added interesting barriers and LOS blocking/obscuring elements.

From the game "Grind"
 The Hills

The hills are basic "step" design used for decades because of the ease of use the flat surfaces provide.
The rippled effect on the sides is due to a failure of the sealant I used to protect the foam from the spray paint I primed with. I liked the effect so I repeated it for all the hills in the set. My wife refers to it as the "Happy accident"



Finished Hills

Here are some shots of the painted hills. I used Vallejo airbrush paints to make get them looking like this.












The sniff test

Good to go!
Layout pictures

From time to time I would set out the table elements to see how they were shaping up. It also told me what I might be missing or have too much of. 

The walkway at the bottomis 21" long


Top down

Model Eye view



The Skewer barracades






The underside of the bridge is a
5 Gal paint stir stick 



Game Day

I got a chance to actually play on the board last Friday Night at the Springfield GW store vs. Devon of the DCHL. It was a learning game for me as I am quite rusty. He took it easy on me. I had a lot of fun.












I have learned to hate bats

Well That is what I did in May. 

What do you think?

RGH



2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Bob. Very productive!

    Will you be offering the Goblin Town terrain to use during the LotR events at NOVA Open?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite possible. Devon from the DC Hobbit league liked playing on the table so it has a good chance of being at the event as one of the options.

    Perhaps we could get a game in at NOVA?

    ReplyDelete