Monday, May 25, 2020

Astral Tabletop WOW!



Hello All,

The COVID-19 crisis has had one bright spot for me. It helped me find Astral Tabletop, an online resource, that I am using to run an upcoming RPG campaign using Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy system.
Since 2008 I have been trying to find a virtual tabletop system that I can stand. I tried Fantasy Grounds back then and was not impressed. In those days it was a software solution and not internet based so I had to download and install the program after purchasing it. I also had to buy modules for any systems I wanted to use. I even had to modify my router ports to allow traffic to pass through and be able to connect with players outside my home network. Since then the system has gone online but it left a bitter taste that made me reluctant to try it again. 
In 2014 I discovered Roll20 by accident. I was at a game store (long since gone now) and some D&D folks were gathered at a table playing their weekly game. I noticed at the end of the table where one would expect the DM to sit was a 22" computer monitor with a map displayed on it. The DM was sitting to the right of the monitor using a laptop on a side table to run the combat the players going through. I was intrigued since it had been years since I tried Fantasy Grounds and did not think anything else was even out there. When they took a break I asked the DM about it and she told me about Roll20. When I got home I looked it up and made an account.

Roll20 is pretty good but I find it's tools a bit more complicated than I like for a game aid. The map builder in particular still gives me shivers from the days when I bought Campaign Cartographer and tried to figure that monstrosity out.  Though I am a tech guy professionally I am more of a Luddite for my personal tech. I prefer a book to a digital display and I used a blackberry until 2015. Like I said I like Roll20 but I have a hard time getting around in it.
In late January 2020 I decided to run my first RPG in more than 12 years. Over the next month I gathered some players (and then some more players) and prepared to run this game the old fashioned way at my house. Then COVID-19 isolation happened and I found my self stuck at home since mid March. I figured "Well I better get used to Roll20."
Then one night  while doing some research on Roll20 functionality I came across a post where a person complained about his issues with the tool and the Data breach in 2018 and wanted something else. One post suggested a relatively new tool called Astral Tabletop. I was interested right away and stopped what I was doing to take a look.

I was impressed with what I saw and signed up. As a special promotion Astral was allowing all free accounts to use all the features of the Pro (paid) account. Established Pro users were not being charged for April or May. I got to Play with the system for free and really got a grasp of how it worked. compared to Roll20 it is more intuitive. It feels more like a game aid than an engineer's tool. In the end I decided to sign up for the Pro account and that is what I am using for the upcoming game.

Till next time

RGH




No comments:

Post a Comment