Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Quick Rant- WD 379 P3

Hello,

I have now pretty much gone through the issue. I have to say that the consensus over the last few years (that WD has gotten worse and is nothing more than a glossy Sears catalog for WH/40K/LOTR players) has become more true than ever.

I tend to dislike issues where one game system is "Showcased" over the others to the point where the non topic articles have an afterthought feeling to them.

I am also annoyed that the trend is to do articles about the most recent armies (usually the last 2 or 3) only rarely do they venture into articles about older armies. It does happen but not often enough for my taste. I would prefer that articles covered a wider range of armies so that one could get a feel for how armies are doing as newer books and rule sets come out. (Just an opinion)

If anything WD has become the single best advertising tool for PP products. One look at a recent WD and you will be dieing to look at Warmahordes!

--------------------

That being said it wouldn't be fair to not point out some things that the magazine did right (not meant as a joke)

1. The new rules for Tomb Banshees and Cairn Wraiths are pretty cool as both have been returned to their previous status as characters (see 6th ed VC book) keeping them separate from the Rare choice Wraiths and Banshees was a solid move. Good Job.

2. The Cavalry article for LOTR SBG. is part of that afterthought mentality but the information is good. Since I am a strong supporter of LOTR for GW (and think it's been dealt a poor hand by the Interwebs community) I would like to see more LOTR articles in future issues. (specifically for the SBG. I am not such a fan od War of the ring.

3. The Sisters of battle (P1) was interesting but having to wait another MONTH for the rest of it sucks! Since I have no idea how this will be costed I will not comment further.

In all it was a poor issue (I am already tired of storm of magic!) but with the addition of Official rules (coming back) and more editor comments in articles (I prefer the old issues where the "White Dwarf" comments on stuff.) The magazine may get better.

"Fingers crossed"

RGH


No comments:

Post a Comment